Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Recap of Snowbird

Snowbird was a fun and beautiful experience. The drive up through the canyon was beautiful, but Tori would never have survived (for those of you who don‘t know Tori, she hates drives that are high, windy, and very close to long, steep mountain edges).

Once we got up there we unpacked the food for the week and settled in. We toured Bret’s place, which is very cozy and nice, then spent the evening just relaxing. I saw my first “bluebird,” although it turns out it was not a REAL bluebird, it had a different name but I loved it anyways.

The next day, Sara and her family came up for the day. Jeremy and his family had arrived the night before, but we didn’t see them until the morning. That day was fairly crowded but lots of fun. We all played Apples to Apples as a big, fun, laughing family. We played several sets, everyone getting many Green Apples cards. Then, since it was getting late, and everyone had long drives either that night or the next morning for school and work, we played elimination style Apples to Apples. In this round, whoever’s card was picked was out of the game. We all laughed and had a good time.

Monday was a slower day with not much going on. On Tuesday, after Jeremy picked up the kids from home and brought them back up, we went swimming. The pool is outdoors but heated and the day was not too cool. There was lots of splashing on Jeremy’s part, and a lot of lounging around in the shallow pool for Adam and I.

We played more Apples to Apples and went to bed. Adam had me watch the short versions of the Rocky movies ("short" being the elimination of nonessential moments and the fighting) until I couldn’t keep my eyes open. On Wednesday, we finished the Rocky movies with the unabridged Rocky Balboa. For the record, I would like to say that the Rocky movies are awesome. We then returned home with Adam’s parents, who were going to dinner and testimony meeting with some mission friends. We went down because on Sunday morning I awoke with shingles on my finger and they hadn’t healed enough for us to be comfortable around the youngest of our nephews.

We were sad to have to leave so early and miss the chance to be around Amy, who lives so very far away in Tooele, that we don’t see her much. We wanted to play Apples to Apples with the whole, entire family.

On Friday morning, I awoke to find my shingles had passed into the scarring stage and were no longer a threat. Regardless, we took extra precautions before going back up to Snowbird.

We got up there in time for lunch and chatted with everyone. After a while we decided to go on a walk, which turned into a hike, along some trails on the mountain. I was worn out, tired to the bone, and dehydrated ‘cause I declined a water bottle before we left. We went really high, took some great pictures, and then wanted to go back. Six of our nieces and nephews wanted to hike up higher. Jeremy decided to take them, so off they went. They were seen hours later, far up the mountain with no trail left to follow, waving their coats at Kalli in the lodge, who could barely see them. Boy were they tired by the time they got back.

Wanting to rest their sore limbs, they decided to go swimming. It was cooler by then, so the adults dressed warmly. I got too chilled, so after a while, Adam and I returned to the warm indoors. After everyone else came up from the pool, we had dinner. It was starting to get dark, so Adam and I left, not wanting to drive the canyon at night. So we didn’t get to play Apples to Apples with everyone THIS time, but Park City is just around the corner…


Here are a few of the many pictures taken. I’ll start with some panoramic views I made from our balcony. (I tried doing them higher, to show the top of the mountains, but the angle causes too much distortion for the panoramas to work.)



And here are the rest of the pictures from our trip. Starting with my dad, doing what he usually does on vacations, Blackberry in her temporary home, our many rounds of Apples to Apples, us checking and posting on our blog with the Wii, the 100-degree pool we swam in, plus random pictures of us, my parents, and our walk/hike…







1 comment:

Mama Llama-Karen said...

My goodness you two, I just love the pictures. It sounds like you had a really nice time. That's awesome!
I have some favorite pics, but they were all wonderful. Adam, with such a beautiful mom and handsome dad, it's no wonder you’re so good looking. Jenn, you must have skipped a generation, because you are truly beautiful and very photogenic. What a cute couple!!!
Thank you so much for putting in the time to do your blog. I just love it! :)