Friday, July 10, 2009

More Tidbits

First of all, we would like to wish a happy (belated) birthday to Cubby, who turned 14 last week; to Alex, who turned 13 on Monday; and McKenna, who also turned 13 on Thursday. (I feel like there was another birthday since Jordan's, but I can't remember... I'm sorry if I forgot.)

The landscapers have started working on the yard, and it's almost done (at least the work aspect of it). Everything has been taken out. The pond, the rocks, the grass, a bazillion weeds, etc. And the two neighbors that were the first to show disgust at our yard previously, were the first to come and take some free junk that we were just going to haul away. They have also commented on how nice it's starting to look, so that's good. They seem to like us again.

Next they re-did the sprinkler system. Then came the cement curbing around all the beds, and along one outside edge. They've planted most of the plants, and we now have four trees, including the Japanese Maple that Jenn pushed for. The other three are another kind of maple tree. There are three trees in the front, and one in the back. Then they put bark in the beds and the other "curbed" areas. And today comes the hydroseeding.

We have been taking pictures, but I'm still working on getting them compiled together. I have some, and my mom has some. But we'll definitely post some before and after pics when we can.

My parents got a new barbecue grill, and they gave us their old one. So I've been a grillin' fool! I was warned with this grill that I might lose some eyebrows and arm hair, but so far I've only singed my arm hair once. It scared the tar out of Jenn, but I thought the flame was pretty awesome.

Speaking of barbecues, we spent the 4th of July at my parents house with my family, had a barbecue, and did fireworks. It was fun! We had a really good time.

All the while, Jenn and I have been incredibly ill with this cold/flu thing. Which is still kicking our butts. I don't know if we're keeping each other sick by hanging out together all the time, or if we just haven't been getting the rest we need because of the excitement. For better or worse, we've tried not to let it keep us down too much.

There have been many birthday parties lately, and we've been going to the ones we can. We would have gone to Cubby's if we could, but... that would have been a little difficult. We also missed Alex's, and we're sorry for that. But we went to McKenna's yesterday and had a lot of fun. Jenn followed up on Bret's chocolate-covered little smokey from Christmas Eve by trying a caramel-covered little smokey. Yuck!

She wasn't feeling very well after that. We don't know if it was because she was already sick, or if it was the combination of caramel, barbecue sauce, and hot dog in her stomach. My bet is on the latter.

4 comments:

Mama Llama-Karen said...

It's been to darn long since I looked at this.
I loved the post. A lot of it I already new, but the taste testing at the end was new.... and disgusting!
So, what have you been grilling?

JennAdam said...

Mostly chicken. We have tried a number of different sauces and stuff with it. We've also grilled hot dogs. And when we can afford to buy more meat, we're going to do hamburgers.

Mama Llama-Karen said...

ooooo, that sounds yummy! Maybe you can help with all the grilling to be done at Ty's graduation BBQ.
If I had a transporter, I'd just pop in one evening and take a taste. :)

JennAdam said...

We grilled hamburgers last night. They were good!